Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can run Furcadia from a USB drive or CD by creating a special file that changes where Furcadia saves its settings, dynamic avatars, and cached dreams.
First, install Furcadia on the USB drive, CD, or other device.
- Download and run the installer from the download page.
- Check "Show advanced installation options" on the first screen and click Next.
- After you agree to the Furcadia agreement, select "Let me choose destination directories from a list. (Advanced users only)" and click Next.
- Click the "Add a directory…" button, then select the directory you want to install Furcadia in. Click OK.
- Finish the installation.
After you have installed Furcadia, you need to create a file called "localdir.ini" inside your installation directory.
- Browse to the folder where you have installed Furcadia. If, for example, your USB drive is called "K:\", this would be "K:\Furcadia."
- Create a new text file by right-clicking the folder area and selecting "New > Text Document."
- Rename the file to "localdir.ini" without the quote marks. Make sure it does not say "localdir.ini.txt" - the .ini is the file extension, which tells Windows what kind of file it is!
- Optional: If you want the Furcadia settings and cache saved in a separate folder from the Furcadia installation directory, open localdir.ini from Notepad and type in the full path name where the Furcadia settings should be saved. You should do this if, for example, you are installing Furcadia to a CD.
Furcadia will now save all its files in the installation directory, or the directory you specified in localdir.ini.